Welcome back to the Funvee Tailgate BLOG, The THUNDERBLOG’s Weekly College Football Series. If you noticed the emphasis on “BLOG,” that is because we also have the Funvee Tailgate Podcast that ties into the blog series. Here’s the iTunes link to go subscribe. For those newer readers, the blog version of the Funvee Tailgate looks at the full slate of Top 25 FBS teams along with a few other selections. After a wild first week, Week 2 shows some promise to be even wilder. Multiple games between ranked opponents, big names on the road, get ready to flip between channels throughout the day. LET’S FIIIIRRRREEEE IT UP!
Big Games This Week:
#16 TCU is visiting SMU Friday night. At the time of writing, the game is currently under a weather delay. TCU rolled through their Week 1 matchup while SMU failed to show up against North Texas. I’d expect the Horned Frogs to roll here, even if they’re already looking ahead to next week’s showdown with Ohio State.
So just like with Week 1, there are still plenty of “tune-up” games on the slate for many of the Top 25 teams. Does that mean Saturday will be a bore. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND. We’ll have plenty of action to keep ourselves entertained. #1 Alabama, #4 Ohio State, #5 Wisconsin, #6 Oklahoma, #7 Auburn, #8 Notre Dame, #9 Washington, #11 LSU, #12 Virginia Tech, #14 West Virginia, #19 UCF, #20 Boise State, #21 Michigan, #22 Miami, and #23 Oregon are all MASSIVE favorites and should win. Let’s take a look at the rest of the slate:
- #18 Mississippi State (-7) at Kansas State at noon on ESPN–MSU QB Nick Fitzgerald returns from suspension this week which should be a big boost for the Bulldogs. Backup Keyaton Thompson looked stellar last week so they’ll have a good option to go to if Fitzgerald struggles at all. KSU is normally good at home but I like MSU here. Bulldogs win and cover.
- I mentioned Oklahoma as a massive favorite but I wanted to give it a quick hit as well. UCLA comes to Norman after losing Wilton Speight in Chip Kelly’s debut for the Bruins. Freshman QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson looked good for UCLA but Kyler Murray looked even better. Sooners will roll.
- #3 Georgia (-10) at #24 South Carolina at 3:30 on CBS–Possibly Georgia’s toughest test in the SEC East, South Carolina’s rushing attack will give the Bulldog’s defense a solid test. USC QB Jake Bentley could have a better game than Jake Fromm but I like the UGA offense more than USC’s. Georgia wins but doesn’t cover.
- #2 Clemson (-12) at Texas A&M at 7 on ESPN–A&M’s Trayveon Williams is a stud running back but have you seen the Clemson defense? Clemson wins and covers.
- Kentucky (+13.5) at #25 Florida at 7:30 on SEC Network–While Florida winning isn’t too much of question, the Gators’ defense will need to contain UK RB Benny Snell to make sure this doesn’t get close late. Florida wins but doesn’t cover.
- #13 Penn State (-7.5) at Pitt at 8 on ABC–Penn State ran into some trouble last week against App State. I’d love to think this carries over into this matchup but PSU is out to avenge their last trip to Heinz Field. PSU wins and covers.
- #17 USC (+6) at #10 Stanford at 8:30 on FOX–A potential early preview of the Pac-12 Championship. Bryce Love will want to make up for his lackluster start to his 2018 Heisman campaign and KJ Costello should be solid once again. What’s concerning for the Trojans is how their freshman QB JT Daniels will be in his first road game. Stanford wins and covers.
- #15 Michigan State (-5.5) at Arizona State at 10:45 on ESPN–Sparty did not look good last week. As much as you’d think a coach like Mark D’Antoni would rally his guys for a big week 2 victory, it’s hard to head down to the desert. D’Antoni will get his guys going, but Herm will have the last laugh. ASU wins outright.
My Lehigh Mountain Hawks host the Villanova Wildcats Saturday afternoon. Lehigh defeated St. Francis after blocking a field goal at the very end of the game but the Mountain Hawks looked solid offensively. Nova always gives Lehigh trouble so QB Brad Mayes and RB Dom Bragalone will have their work cut out for them.
Make sure to check out the podcast for our full in-depth analysis. Let me know what picks you disagree with in the comments.Follow @geordo9