Welcome to The Funvee Tailgate! Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! Week 13 should be great, LET’S FIRE IT UP!
Fourth CFP Poll:
For those who haven’t checked it out yet, I wrote an entire post on my reactions to the fourth CFP poll. I’ve gotten some good responses for this week’s reaction so definitely take a look.
Big Games This Week:
No games last night due to Thanksgiving and the full day of NFL action but A LOT of college football on Friday along with Saturday Point of reference: I’m starting this post Friday morning and am unsure of when it will be done so I may miss the kickoff of Houston/Memphis.
A loaded day of College Football today that includes five ranked games with a single-digit lines:
- #20 Houston at Memphis at noon on ABC — Memphis has had a good season post-Paxton Lynch but their entire WR core revolves around Anthony Miller. Houston should be keying in on him and Greg Ward Jr will pull this one out of hand. Houston wins.
- #16 Nebraska at Iowa at 3:30 on ABC — The Hawkeyes are favored here as a great home team in the Big Ten. They feature a similar style to Wisconsin, whom Nebraska had a lot of difficulty around. Tommy Armstrong will have his work cut out for him, but Huskers pull it out.
- #5 Washington at #23 Washington State at 3:30 on FOX — WSU takes the Pac 12 North if they can pull off the upset. Washington QB Jake Browning wants to cap off the regular season strong. He and WR John Ross connect for a couple TDs as Browning continues to build his resume. Huskies win.
- #19 Boise State at Air Force at 3:30 on CBSSN — Similar to Washington and Nebraska, Boise State just wants to close out the season and clinch their division. Air Force wants to play upset as a nine-point home-dog. Slim chance. Broncos win.
- Toledo at #21 Western Michigan at 5:00 on ESPN2 — Same stakes as Washington/Washington State: winner takes the division. Western Michigan is home though. Broncos win.
The final weekend of the season features the big rivalry games for each school. Many of these historic rivalry predate conferences and are thus now non-conference games. Some games will decide divisions, all will decide bragging rights for the next year.
- Kentucky at #11 Louisville at noon on ESPN — Stick to basketball Wildcats. Louisville wins.
- #3 Michigan at #2 Ohio State at noon on ABC — Oh boy. The Big Game. OSU is only a 6.5-point favorite despite Wilton Speight being out for Michigan. De’veon Smith will give the Buckeye defense a lot of trouble and the dynamo that is Jabril Peppers could be the difference maker. It’ll be A LOT of fun to watch the Wolverine defense take on the duo of JT Barrett and Mike Weber. While I’ll be pulling for the Wolverines, objectively I think the loss of Speight might put Michigan just short of a win. Buckeyes win.
- Michigan State at #7 Penn State at 3:30 on ESPN — Penn State has a lot to play for even if Michigan wins. I think if the game was in East Lansing it’d be a lot closer as Saquon Barkley is electric at home. Penn State wins.
- Minnesota t #6 Wisconsin at 3:30 on Big Ten Network — Minnesota has had a great season going and recent losses have knocked them out of a ranking. Saturday will be the toughest loss for them. Badgers win.
- #25 Navy at SMU at 3:30 on ESPNU — Depending on how Houston does today, Navy may already have clinched the AAC West. Either way, Navy gets it done. Midshipmen win.
- #18 West Virginia at Iowa State at 3:30 on FS1 — WVU is only a 6.5-point favorite here, why? Iowa State will have a very tough time catching up to the Mountaineer offense. WVU wins.
- Notre Dame #12 USC at 3:30 on ABC — This game is always close. No way USC covers a 17-point spread. USC RB Ronald Jones II will get them close as Notre Dame’s defense struggles on the ground, but USC won’t cover. USC wins.
- #13 Auburn at #1 Alabama at 3:30 on CBS — The Iron Bowl. This game will be fun. Bama is going to win, they’re too talented on defense to let Auburn’s Kamryn Pettway take control, but that battle will be fun to watch. Jalen Hurts starts his Iron Bowl career with a win. Tide rolls.
- South Carolina at #4 Clemson at 7:30 on ESPN — Not even close. Clemson wins.
- #17 Tennessee at Vanderbilt at 7:30 on SECNet — Vanderbilt has had a bounce-back year and a win makes them bowl eligible. Tennessee got so close to being “back” this year, but a 9-3 regular season record is great for recent memory. Josh Dobbs picks apart the Vandy D. Vols win.
- #22 Utah at #9 Colorado at 7:30 on FOX — Colorado is back. A win puts them in the Pac 12 Championship Game and playing at home gives them a much better shot at doing that against a solid Utah squad. The Buffs defense stops Utah RB Joe Williams. Buffs win.
- Rice at #24 Stanford at 8:00 on Pac 12 Net — How is this allowed to be the Cardinal’s 12th game? McCaffrey could play by himself and win. Stanford wins big.
- #15 Florida at #14 Florida State at 8:00 on ABC — No conference implications here. Just pride. Florida has had a week off in preparation for this game and they’ll need to keep it close as they did at LSU two weeks ago. Florida has struggled on the road and FSU can capitalize on that quickly. Dalvin Cook makes the difference in his final game in this matchup. FSU wins.
A huge shutout to the Lehigh Football team for not only taking down Lafayette again, but winning the Patriot League and qualifying for the FCS Playoffs! They travel up to a tough UNH squad on Saturday for their first round matchup. Good luck to them as this game should be a fun one to keep an eye on. LET’S GO LEHIGH!!!
Disagree with my picks? Did I miss a matchup you wanted me to talk about? Let me know in the comments!Follow @geordo9