Welcome to The Funvee Tailgate! Week 7 saw a lot of close calls but only one upset (shoutout to the The Prophet’s ‘Cuse squad). Once again, the Funvee Tailgate is hitting the road for Week 8. Although it won’t be traveling as far, it may be the most exhilarating. I’m heading up to Penn State for the Ohio State game (I’m actually finishing it up over breakfast in our RV). I’m proud to finally announce that my phone will be functioning so check out our Instagram for photo updates. The rest of Week 8 should be awesome as well. Let’s fire up the Tailgate…
Thursday Night Recap:
While neither may be ranked now, Virginia Tech/Miami was a pivotal ACC Coastal showdown last night. Tech needed to bounce back after their loss at Syracuse last week and that’s what they did in a dominating 37-16 win. #14 Boise State was the only ranked team in action last night and the Broncos barely squeaked out the W as they edged BYU 28-27.
Big Games This Week:
October’s Magical Madness:
#3 Michigan, #5 Washington, #7 Louisville, #8 Nebraska, #11 Houston, and #14 Oklahoma are all MASSIVE favorites this week and should win. Of course, I said that about Clemson last week and they should have lost. Let’s look at the big slate:
- #10 Wisconsin at Iowa at noon on ESPN–A revenge opportunity of Wisconsin. They’re coming off a heartbreaking loss to OSU last and lost a weird game to Iowa last year. Badger bounce back.
- #22 UNC at UVA at 3:00 on ACC Network–Tar Heels are only a 10-point favorite at an interesting Virginia squad. The Cavs always have a solid D that is a step behind the opposition and can’t hang on. UNC wins.
- Eastern Michigan at #20 Western Michigan at 3:30 on ESPN 3–These Broncos are massive favorites but I’m making up for lost time on this undefeated sleeper. Extremely tough for them to make the playoff but the New Year’s Six is in their sights. WMU wins.
- #6 Texas A&M at #1 Alabama at 3:30 on CBS–Alabama is favored by 18 in this top six matchup. They’ve been demolishing opponents including Tennessee last week so it may be warranted. Not sure if they cover but Bama wins.
- Memphis at #24 Navy at 3:30 on CBSSN — Memphis is actually favored here by a point. I like the Midshipmen here, Navy wins.
- TCU at #12 West Virginia at 3:30 on ABC — WVU is a six point favorite in this game. Big XII games always have high potential for a shootout and this is no different. WVU wins.
- #19 Utah at UCLA at 4:00 on Fox — UCLA is favored by almost a touchdown! Josh Rosen may be out too; the public must doubt the injuries for Utah much more. UCLA wins.
- #17 Arkansas at #21 Auburn at 6:00 on ESPN — Arkansas is riding high with some great wins this season but the War Eagle always flies high at home. Auburn wins.
- #2 Ohio State at Penn State at 8:00 on ABC — Even though OSU is a HUGE favorite, I had to once again include the game I’m going to. Back to back great college football cultures for me. PSU may be able to cover the 19 point spread but OSU wins.
- #23 Ole Miss at #25 LSU at 9:00 on ESPN– Leonard Fournette is back! LSU wins, it’s sometimes as simple as that.
Lehigh hits the road again as they travel up to Holy Cross. Once again, the Mountain Hawks need to weary about the possibility for a trap game, especially with Fordham next weekend. I like the Mountain Hawks’ chances to move to 3-0 in Patriot League play. GO LEHIGH!!
Disagree with my picks? Did I miss a matchup you wanted me to talk about? Let me know in the comments!Follow @geordo9